Issues with NFS mounting on boot

Today, I ran into an odd issue where NFS mounts were not being mounted at boot, despite having all of the proper settings in the /etc/fstab entry. There were no errors of note in server logs but I was able to determine that the issue was related to the fact that the server was trying to mount the nfs mount prior to networking coming up. To resolve this, I found the two entries in the /etc/rc3.d/ directory that corresponded to networking and network filesystems:

[[email protected] rc3.d]# ll | grep netfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 21 14:00 K75netfs -> ../init.d/netfs
[[email protected] rc3.d]# ll | grep network
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 May 21 09:10 S10network -> ../init.d/network

Once I located those two files, it was clear that the problem lay in the fact the server was running K75netfs prior to S10network due to rc.d’s habit of starting services in alphabetical order. To resolve the problem, I located an empty “slot” after S10 to move the K75netfs symlink to:

[[email protected] rc3.d]# mv K75netfs S86netfs

By doing this, the network and netfs rc.d scripts are now in the proper order:

[[email protected] rc3.d]# ll | grep network
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 May 21 09:10 S10network -> ../init.d/network
[[email protected] rc3.d]# ll | grep netfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 21 14:00 S86netfs -> ../init.d/netfs

I did a test reboot to confirm and sure enough, when the server was accessible via networking, the nfs mount was in place and accessible as expected. I thought I’d make a post on this for anyone else having the same issue, as google was not too helpful for me.

Common Issues – No Networking on new OpenVZ VPS

Hello all,

Today I ran into an interesting issue where a VPS had no networking either inbound or outbound after setup. This is the error that would present when restarting network via init.d:

Bringing up interface venet0:
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

This issue also presented in that cPanel licenses could not activate not could any ping or host commands work properly. I eventually narrowed down the issue to the fact that the IPs that had been added to the VPS were not properly set to ARP by checking with the following command (run on the node):

arp | grep [INSERT IP HERE]

In order to resolve this, all I needed to do was add the arp entries for the IPs on the actual virtual environment by running the following commands on the node:

arp -s [INSERT IP HERE] `ifconfig eth0 | grep eth0 | awk '{print $5}'` pub

Make sure you run the command above for every IP on the VPS. This resolved the issue and all networking started working again properly.